3/4 cup: Toor dal (arhar Dal) and Chana Dal
150 gm: Pumpkin cut into large pieces
1 no: Brinjal, large and cut into medium size pieces
1 no: Banana green and cut into medium size pieces
1 no: Papaya, small and cut into medium size pieces
1 no: Potato, peeled and cut into large pieces
2 tsp: Coconut, grated
1 tsp: Pancha-phutana (Cumin, Mustard, Fennel, Fenu greek, Kala Jeera)
no: Red Chillies, dried
1 tbs: Ginger, minced
1 tbs: Turmeric
2 tsp: Cumin, fried
2 tsp: Red Chilli powder
1 tsp: Ghee or Oil
1/2 tsp: Sugar, Salt to taste
1. Dry roast 1 tsp of cumin and red chilli in a pan.
2. Grind it properly and leave it aside.
3. Boil 4 cups of water and add both dals (toor and chana), coconut, salt, minced ginger, turmeric and sugar and leave it until Dal is half cooked.
4. Add all vegetables (potato, banana, pumpkin, brinjal and papaya) and cook until vegetables become soft and tender.
5. Fry the panch-phutana until it crackle and then add it to the cooked dal.
6. Sprinkle roasted cumin and chilli powder.
7. Decorate with grated coriander leaves (optional).